|About our Church||Calendar||Rotas||Church Archetecture and History
||Church and Village Events
|Contact Us||Pictures||PCC Agendas and Minutes||Aller-Looyas
||St Andrew's Restoration 2009-2018|
Parochial Church Council:
Celia Kozlowski, Secretary; David Major, Treasurer; Pat Harvey, David Mayor, Church Wardens; Penny Bates, Peter Maltby, Elaine Major, Linda Stamp, John Whitfield
All are Welcome to attend our PCC meetings
Minutes of the PCC MEETING1. Welcome and Prayers (Dave) – Present: Dave Mayor, David Major, Pat Harvey, Linda Stamp, Elaine Major, John Whitfield, Celia Kozlowski, Peter Maltby, Jess Pitman Apologies: Hugh Ellis
St. Andrew’s Parish Church, Aller for Feb 10, 2012
Ralph & Penny’s (Lyon House)
2. Minutes for the previous meeting. Consideration deferred as these were prepared late.
3. Matters Arising, Reports, and follow-up :
# A. Community events, fundraisers:
Church support of Community Coffees –Friday seems to be the day when most people could help. Celia or Pat will let Ivor know. Pat suggested we might consider organizing board games during the Coffee mornings. Jess said she would like to come. Penny suggested a White Elephant sale.
Famine Lunch—Louise Evans and Jenny Whitfield have this under control for 10 March.
Classical Music Evening –Elaine says 120 tickets will be sold for this event at the church on 15 March. Price will include a glass of wine or juice. 25 tickets have been sold so far. David has agreed to be on the door and Penny and Ralph will serve drinks from the vestry. Pat Harvey will be in touch with the farm to assure there is parking available. One of the musicians performing is a finalist for BBC’s Young Musician of the Year. Elaine has taken care of publicity.
# B. Finances
Status – David was thanked for his excellent presentation of the latest data. It was agreed that the excess funds we now have will not be used to pay our past shortfalls to Bath & Wells or the Team, but instead to attempt to make a full payment on our next dues to them in the new fiscal year. This will be revisited by each PCC meeting. Dave said we should urge people to give to the church without strings i.e. stipulating how the money should be spent. Peter noted that people might not give at all if they could not specify how the money was used. Celia said we should try to understand and convey to the leadership why people want just to give to one cause so that the clergy can dispel misunderstandings or relay the givers’ misgivings in hopes of improving the church.
Parish Share – The PCC considered how to classify our parish under the new scheme and decided we were best characterized as a “D” Parish, in the middle.
Auditor’s report – In response to comment from John Ford about preferred practice of two-person (non-spousal) handling of collections, the PCC voted to continue our present practice as being simpler and protecting confidentiality of Gift Aided donations. This was unanimously approved after being proposed by Peter and seconded by John. The auditor’s report was unanimously accepted.
# C. Restoration and Building issues—Ellis & Co (no relation to incumbent) has been awarded the contract for work on St. Andrews. Elaine Major moved that the St. Andrew’s PCC agrees to the work, as described in the contract, and agrees it should start as soon as possible. This motion was seconded by David Major and approved unanimously, without dissent, by email vote of the PCC. The work will start soon after English Heritage approves the paperwork. EH will reduce the size of their grant to St. Andrews due to lower than expected bids. We are hopeful that the size of the Virdor will remain at £18 K. John will look at the contract to be sure things are in order. David will keep an eye on the State II grant to see if/or how much money will be left over after the project is complete. This in large part depends on how much VAT can be claimed back. David will stay in touch with John about this. There is hope that some money will be left to work on the internal arch repairs – possibly even by writing this into the contract so it might be covered by Viridor. John will look into this.
# D. Fabric etc. Guthrum Font cards – found; no further action required; Flower, Cleaning Rota changes—The Rota is now done in 6-month chunks with cleaning every two weeks. On the whole, Pat feels, the church I being kept clean
# E. Any Other Business? Elaine commented that although heretofore she had been no fan of the Angel, when she had visited there yesterday, she was very impressed at how people were helping the others in a fantastic atmosphere. Peter commented that the Angel was gathering steam.
4. Future Services, Easter, Jubilee:
—The church wil be decorated in white for the Jubilee on 3 June. John will inquire about a peal of bells. We would like to follow the service with a lunch of Coronation Chicken, and strawberries and cream (Penny). John volunteered to play “God Save the Queen” on his electric guitar from the tower. Linda will arrange for a flagpole for the churchyard. Bunting? Plaque dedicating the tower renovations to the Queen?
--Future services: People are now coming from far away for Matins, though this may present a problem for Team staffing. Pat observed that the church doesn’t like to give up Eucharist services, but we should encourage non-confirmed folks to come to Eucharist and non-Eucharist services. Celia proposed and Peter amended and seconded a proposal that the churchwardens research the best way to take forward to the Team and celebrants at St Andrews the expressed desire and preference of our PCC that Communion distribution be as open and liberal as is possibly allowed by the rules of the church. Elaine expressed her preference for changing liturgy and a simple service that gets back to the true meaning of Christ and the Gospels.
--Linda expressed her dismay that many members of her family – some in church for the first time in a long time (following Thelma’s death) – on Sunday had been frightened by the stern, unsmiling priest who shouted at the congregation. John said that the priest is actually not frightening, but rather a big softee. Dave agreed we need to convey that what is needed at Aller is a relaxed, comforting style, softer and more informal, preferably coming from someone who has a relationship with the congregation and is not just a fly-by vicar. If this information gets back to the clergy, the PCC has done its job.
5. Team Council Meeting reports and Benefice action items:
Licensing – there will be a Walking Festival coming through Aller church June 9-10 to view the Alfred window. It would be desirable to staff the church and provide a table with refreshments for visitors.
The licensing of Valerie Thomas was discussed. Celia said the history of staffing in the benefice did not inspire her confidence to accept the candidate without meeting her. The six months “get to meet” period has not elapsed yet, but the vote is being called now to be sure there is an extra staff member on hand for the busy Easter season. Despite invitation, it has not been possible for the candidate to visit Aller in the months since she arrived in September. John said he thought Mrs. Thomas gave a good sermon at team service. Jess said she was a hard worker at The Angel and is a gentle, approachable person. The vote of approval carried. The renewed licensing of Lynnette Clayton was unanimously approved. Pat and Dave will advise Hugh to approve Mike Liley as a Server at Aller.
In discussion of the Team Service it was noted that each hosting church is free to select different times or formats for the service (does not have to be a Eucharist), but Hugh must be advised on this as early as possible. It was agreed that 12 Team Services per year is too much – 4 would be better (i.e. on the 5th Sunday of the month). Dave or Pat will relay these comments to the Team.
Dave has agreed to act not only as Aller’s Safeguarding officer, but also the Team’s Safeguarding officer.
6. Date and location of Annual Parish Meeting and AGM (next meeting) and retirements/nominations for the PCC: Will be at 7:30 p.m. (AGM at 8:00) on 27 March 2012 at the Village Hall – note change of time from original plan. Change due to unavailability of VH at the earlier time.
THESE MINUTES WERE APPROVED VIA EMAIL AND DISCUSSION WITH ALL MEMBERS OF THE PCC WITH A VOTE OF 8 “AYES” AND ONE ABSTENTION. 12 March 2012
Secretary, St. Andrew’s PCC
Send an E-mail to St. Andrews Church, Aller: St.Andrews.Aller@googlemail.com
Send an E-mail Prayer request: email@example.com